Pastors

Rev. William O'Sullivan
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1885-1915

Father O'Sullivan was only 30 years old when he became pastor of St. Augustine in 1885. He nurtured the young parish and cared for mission churches at Barre, Graniteville and Moretown until 1892, at which time construction of the new St. Augustine's began. He was widely respected as an administrator, preacher and educator. He died in 1915 and was buried in his family lot at St. Joseph's Cemetery in Burlington.


Father P. J. Long         
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1915-1921

It is said that one of father Long's many talents was financial management. When he became pastor in 1915, the parish was still paying for its new church and maintaining its school and convent on Court Street. Through his work and managerial skills, he left St. Augustine financially stable and in a position to plan for school and convent improvements. These were completed shortly after his departure.

Monsignor William P. Crosby
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1921-1959

It is over 40 years since Monsignor Crosby completed his years as pastor of St. Augustine and he is still remembered with respect, gratitude and admiration by the older people of the parish. He was advisor to bishops, friend to governors, and recipient of two Papal honors - having been named Domestic Prelate in 1945 and Protonotary Apostolic in 1963, just a month before his death.


Father William Ready
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1959-1965

When Monsignor Crosby retired in 1959, Father William Ready was named pastor of St. Augustine. He had previously been Pastor of St. Francis' Church in Windsor. Father Ready continued Monsignor Crosby's leadership, particularly in the area of education. He devoted much of his energy to the parish schools, which at that time spanned kindergarten through grade 12.

 
Monsignor Harold Field
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1965-1975

Before becoming pastor at St. Augustine, Monsignor Field served at Cathedral High School, at Holy Rosary Parish in Richmond and was editor of the Vermont Sunday Visitor. During his time at St. Augustine, he led the parish though a major transition period in its history. With the Second Vatican Council in the 1960s, major changes came to the church as it moved into a new era. Under Monsignor Field's direction, the interior of St. Augustine was totally renovated in 1968.

Monsignor Charles Marcoux
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1975-76

Monsignor Marcoux was Vicar General of the Diocese of Burlington when named pastor of St. Augustine in 1975 by Bishop John Marshall. His pastorate was abruptly ended after less that a year when he was stricken with a serious illness. Following his retirement, Father Omer Dufault was named temporary administrator of the parish.


Father Joseph Campbell
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1976-1984

When Father Joseph Campbell became pastor of St. Augustine in 1976, he was coming home. He had grown up in Montpelier, attended St. Michael's School and was an altar boy here at St. Augustine. St. Michael's School had been reduced to four grades. It was in Father Campbell's time that grades five and six were added. Following his Pastorate here, Father Campbell became Pastor of St. Peter Church in Rutland. This proved to be a brief assignment. Poor health forced him to retire early, and he died shortly thereafter in 1987.

Father Wendell H. Searles
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1984-1995

Before Father Searles was named pastor of St. Augustine in 1984, he had served at Holy Cross Church in Mallett's Bay and held several administrative posts in Catholic schools in the diocese. Under his guidance and direction, the Parish Council and its many committees have been revitalized. This is turn has generated an increase in parish activities in general. The Centennial of Saint Augustine took place during his tenure. Among his many contributions was overseeing the publication of a Centennial Book to commemorate the event.

Rev. Bernard E. Gaudreau
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1995-1997

Rev. Bernard E. Gaudreau was ordained to the priesthood in 1975 by the Most Reverend John A. Marshall. His first assignments as a priest were at Holy Family Parish in Essex Junction and St. Joseph Parish in Burlington. From 1983 to 1989 he served the Diocese as Director of the Liturgical Development Program. He has been pastor at St. Ann Church in Milton and Ascension in Georgia (1989-1995), St. Augustine in Montpelier (1995-1997) and Blessed Sacrament in Stowe (1997 to present. Currently he is the Director of the Diocesan Office of Ministerial Formation.

Father William R. Beaudin
Pastor of St. Augustine,
1997-2000

Father William R. Beaudin was ordained to the priesthood in 1982 by the Most Reverend John A. Marshall. His first assignments as a priest were at St. Francis De Sales in Bennington and St. John Parish in St. Johnsbury. Bishop Marshall assigned him to post graduate work in 1989-1991 in Washington, DC. He has been pastor at North American Martyrs, Marshfield and Our Lady Queen of Peace, Danville (1991-1996). He has been Director of Continuing Education for Priests (1987-1997) and Director of Permanent Diaconate (1991-1997). He was Founding Director of the Office of Ministerial Formation (1987-1997).

He was named Pastor of Saint Augustine on July 1, 1997. Under his guidance and direction, a major capital campaign was completed to fund renovations to Saint Michael's School, the church and convent.

Rev. Thomas Mosher
Pastor of St. Augustine,
2001-2005

Father Thomas Mosher, a native of Ohio, came to us by way of Colorado. Ordained for the Archdiocese of Denver in 1981, he transferred to the Dioecese of Burlington ten years later. His previous parish assignments in Vermont include St. Monica in Barre, Our Lady of Mount Caramel in Charlotte, St. Elizabeth in Lyndonville, and Holy Family in Essex Junction.

Father Mosher arrived in June of 2001, at the same time as his new Parochial Vicar, Father Benedict Kiely. Not long after their arrival, Father Kiely was transferred, and this one-time five-priest parish made the transition to having only one priest.

Father's first project was to re-landscape the Shrine of Our Blessed Mother, making it more visible and Accessible. He then created a statuary garden in front of the rectory and a private garden for the priests to enjoy. During his tenure enrollment at Saint Michael's School nearly doubled, a new Parish Newsletter was begun, and new interest was generated for the role of Alter Servers. Father created a new Lady Chapel in the church as well as a new Baptismal Chapel. His proudest achievement, however, was the creation of a deanery-wide Chapel of Perpetual Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament.

Father Mosher will always be remembered for his poignant homilies and the reverence and elegance with which he celebrated the Eucharist. He will also be remembered for his beloved German Shepherd Dog, Sasha, whom he walked daily in Hubbard Park. Father Mosher departed for Our Lady of the Snows parish in Woodstock on the Feast of the Epiphany, 2005.